On June 9, 2021, the staff of the National Bank of Ukraine held a workshop on “Determining the authenticity and payment of national and foreign currency banknotes” for the experts of the Questioned Document Examination Department at the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of the Forensic Expertise.
The Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise organized the event. Kovtoniuk Vitalii Anatoliiovych, senior specialist of the Department of Research and Protection of money of the Department of Money Production of the National Bank of Ukraine and Bozhkov Serhii Viktorovych, chief specialist of the Department of Production and Protection of the Department Money Circulation of the National Bank of Ukraine were representatives as well.
During the workshops, lectures were held on the following topics:
System of protection of national currency banknotes (protective features of banknote paper, secure printing, and special inks).
- New banknotes of 50 and 200 hryvnias denomination of 2019.
- Technical characteristics of new circulation coins with denominations of 1, 2, 5, and 10 hryvnias of the 2018 model.
- Definition of payment features and criteria for exchange of banknotes (coins) of the national currency of Ukraine.
- Characteristic features of the most dangerous printing counterfeits of hryvnia banknotes and counterfeits made by reproduction.
- Signs of wear of foreign currency banknotes.
- Characteristics of the main elements of protection of US dollar and euro banknotes.
- Features of identification of “super fakes”.
- The main options and characteristics of foreign currency counterfeits detected by banks in Ukraine.
The Questioned Document Examination Department of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise sincerely thanks Vitalii Kovtoniuk and Serhii Bozhkov for meaningful and interesting lectures. The information obtained will help improve the skills and efficiency of forensic experts.