An interdepartmental scientific and practical seminar “Topical issues of standardization and accreditation of trace evidence research and weapons research” was held at Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise.
The event was dedicated to the memory of the outstanding forensic scientist Victor Ye. Berher.
Since 1954 Viktor Ye.Berher was a staff member of Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise. In 1969 he defended his thesis for obtaining a Ph.D. degree in law sciences on the topic: “Topical issues of forensic ballistics studies.” Since 1973 he is the Head of the Laboratory for Forensic Science of Documents, Trace and Forensic Ballistics, the Chairman of the Section of Trace and Forensic Ballistics of the Scientific Advisory and Methodological Council of the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine, a member of the Scientific Society of Physicians and Criminologists. He is the author of many scientific and methodical books, in particular, the methodological manual “Trace research of mechanical locks” (1998), the first in Ukraine interdepartmental “Methods of forensic investigation of cold weapons” (1999), etc.
The seminar was attended by representatives of state scientific research institutions of the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine, the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine, the Security Service of Ukraine, the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine and the State Fiscal Service of Ukraine, the Bureau of Forensic Examination, representatives of the State Research Institute of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine and National Academy of Internal Affairs.
The subject of discussion at the seminar was the topical and problematic issues of standardization and accreditation (regulatory and methodological support) of trace researches and researches of weapons carried out by forensic experts of various specialized state institutions of forensic examinations, ways of improvement of this activity.
Among the main themes of the speakers’ speeches were the following:
- standardization of didactics and certification of forensic experts as a guarantee of successful provision of forensic expert activity in Ukraine;
- standardization and accreditation of forensic expert activity as an important direction in improving the technical and criminalistics and forensic expert support of justice in Ukraine;
- accreditation of forensic institutions of Ukraine: yesterday, today tomorrow;
- certain aspects of the accreditation of testing laboratories and their verification in accordance with the procedures of the National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine;
- inter-laboratory comparative tests as the main method of external independent evaluation of the quality of test results and determination of the readiness of the laboratory for accreditation in accordance with DSTU(National Standards of Ukraine) ISO / IEC 17025: 2006;
- to the issue of the type, structure and content of documented information of quality management systems in institutions that perform forensic expert support of justice;
- current issues of accreditation of laboratories for trace investigative research and weapons research;
- general principles of research on the group identification of objects that are the results of engineering and technical activities of a person , etc.
A collection of abstracts and reports of participants was published based on the results of the interdepartmental scientific and practical seminar. The publication is intended for law enforcement and forensic institutions, teachers, post-graduate students and adjuncts of higher educational institutions. Thanks to colleagues for your participation and fruitful cooperation!