On August 16, 2023, a round table was held on the topic: “International cooperation on the implementation of frozen russian assets in favour of Ukraine. Legal or political decision?” The organizers of the round table were the International Charitable Foundation “Ukrainian Renaissance of the XXI Century”, the Bar Council of Kyiv Oblast, a member of the international audit network Crowe Global, Vadym Hetman Kyiv National Economic University, Philipps-Universität Marburg (Germany), Ukrainian Research Institute of Special Equipment and Forensic Expertise of the Security Service of Ukraine, Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise of the Ministry Justice of Ukraine, V.M. Koretskyi Institute of State and Law of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
The representative of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise at the event was Mykhailo Poliennikov, a leading forensic expert of the Laboratory of Economic Research of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise, Candidate of Economic Sciences. Mykhailo Poliennikov gave a presentation on the topic: “Assessment of the evidence base regarding the amount of damage and the amount of damage caused by the armed aggression of the russian federation”.
The participants of the round table were: Iryna Ivanets, Candidate of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of Institutional Economics of the University of Marburg, Associate Professor of the Department of Corporate Finance and Controlling of the Kyiv National Economic University; Olha Stupak, Judge of the Civil Court of Cassation of the Supreme Court; Martyna Bohuslavets, Executive Director of the Institute of Legislative Ideas, V.M. Koretskyi Institute of State and Law; Mykola Marchenko, Candidate of Juridical Sciences, Executive Director of the Foundation for Institutional Development of Ukrainian Science, V.M. Koretskyi Institute of State and Law of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine; Olena Potopalska, Managing Partner of AC Crowe Ukraine, CEO, Risks, Consulting, auditor; Hnat Kucheryn, founder of Law Consulting law firm, Vilnius (Lithuania) and others.
The moderator of the event was Yevheniia Vakulenko, Candidate of Economics, Associate Professor of the Department of Corporate Finance and Controlling, Deputy Chairman of the Scientific and Practical Council of RAKO, Chairman of the RAKO Committee, Chairman of the International Charitable Foundation “Ukrainian Revival of the XXI Century”, lawyer, auditor.
The primary purpose of this round table was to discuss possible ways of bringing the aggressor to justice, international cooperation and implementation experience in different jurisdictions.
Topics for discussion covered at the round table:
· Creating a new security environment
· Practical steps of Ukraine’s partners (proposal of Swiss banks, Graham-Waithaus amendment, amendments to Canadian legislation).
· International cooperation in the search for russian assets. Use of information from open sources.
· Sources and mechanisms of compensation for losses caused by military aggression of the russian federation.
· Experience in the legalization of decisions of Ukrainian courts in different jurisdictions.As a result of the event, the abstracts of the speakers will be published in the collection. It will be published on the website, and the paper publication will be carried out with the technical and informational support of the NGO “European Scientific Platform” (Ukraine).