On February 19, 2021, on the basis of the Lviv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise, the International Scientific and Practical Conference “Forensic examination of intellectual property objects: realities and prospects” was held, in which representatives of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise took part.
About 40 participants attended the online event from Ukraine, the Great Britain, Czech Republic, Belarus, and Azerbaijan.
The opening of the conference began with welcoming words delivered by:
- Andrii V. Haichenko – Deputy Minister of Justice of Ukraine for Executive Service.
- Bohdan Yu. Lvov – Deputy Chairman of the Supreme Court, Chairman of the Commercial Court of Cassation.
- Ihor M. Benedysiuk – Judge of the Commercial Court of Cassation of the Supreme Court.
- Nataliia M. Tkachenko – Director of the Department of Expert Support of Justice of the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine.
- Nataliia M. Kravchuk – Deputy Chairman of the Western Commercial Court of Appeal.
- Volodymyr M. Burdin – Dean of the Faculty of Law of Ivan Franko National University of Lviv.
- Viktor S. Deineka – Head of the Territorial Department of the State Judicial Administration of Ukraine in Lviv Oblast.
- Mariia O. Vasylenko – Acting Director for Law and Administration of State Registers of the State Enterprise “Ukrainian Institute of Intellectual Property” (Ukrpatent).
- Nazarii M. Suvalo - Chairman of the Commission for Law Enforcement, Anti-Corruption Activities and Military Formations of the Lviv Regional Council.
- Pavlo S. Lutsiuk – member of the Scientific Advisory Council at the Supreme Court, professor of the Department of Civil Law Disciplines of the National Academy of Internal Affairs, member of the High Qualification Commission of Judges of Ukraine (from 2015 till 2019), Honored Lawyer of Ukraine, Doctor of Law.
- Oleh V. Chernobai – Chairman of the public organization “All-Ukrainian Association of Intellectual Property”, Managing Partner of the Law Office “Legal Company” Chernobai and Partners”.
- Timur Bondariev – Founding Partner and Managing Partner of Arzinger, Attorney at Law.
- Vladyslav L. Fedorenko – Director of the Research Center for Forensic Examination on Intellectual Property.
- Oleksandr H. Ruvin – Director of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise.
- Oleksandr M. Kliuiev – Director of the National Scientific Centre “Hon. Prof. M.S. Bokarius Forensic Science Institute”.
- Yurii H. Cheredyntsev – Director of the Odesa Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise.
- Olena V. Kovalenko – Director of the Dnipro Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise.
Oleksandr Ruvin during his welcoming speech noted the role of forensic examination of intellectual property, and thanked the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine, Mr. Haichenko, the Deputy Minister of Justice of Ukraine and the Lviv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise for organizing the event.
During the conference, participants covered a wide range of both theoretical and practical issues in the field of forensic intellectual property.
Oleksandr Zherebko, Head of the Department of Regulatory and Methodological Activities and Standardization of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise prepared a report on general concepts in the examination of intellectual property.
The following topics were discussed at the conference as well:
- “Peculiarities of appointment of forensic examinations of intellectual property objects and its assessment by the court”.
- “Features of the appointment of forensic examinations”.
- “The role of special legislation in conducting forensic examinations of intellectual property”.
- “Forensic examination in the Republic of Belarus”.
- “Problematic issues that arise when the court appoints an examination during the consideration of cases in the field of intellectual property”.
- “Some practical aspects of the appointment of forensic examination in the field of intellectual property and the assessment of expert opinions by courts”.
- “Standards of proof: features of the economic process of proof on the example of certain categories of disputes”.
- “Peculiarities of conducting expert research related to industrial designs, taking into account the novelties of the legislation on the protection and security of industrial designs”.
- “Reforming the legislation of Ukraine on industrial property: the impact on forensic science”.
- “Changes and innovations in legislation to strengthen the protection and defense of industrial design rights”.
- “On the need to update the scientific and methodological guidelines for the study of verbal symbols of trade marks”.
- “Plagiaristic forensic examination of scientific works: problematic issues”.
- “Review of the forensic expert’s opinion as a means of assessing its reliability”.
- “Specifics of identification of signs of originality of photographic works in the context of research of objects of copyright”.
- “Ways to solve combinational identification tasks in conducting forensic examinations in the field of intellectual property”.
- “Graphology in forensic handwriting: the second coming or a new approach?”
- “How to protect the label”.
- “Features of the study of pharmaceutical labels registered as trademarks”.
- “The problem of using copyright objects by visualization from the perspective of world forensic examination”.
During the practical part of the conference, the speakers told and demonstrated the principles of artificial intelligence and neural networks.
It should be noted the high level of reports made by the participants during the conference, which certainly left a positive contribution to professional development. The involvement of representatives of other countries allowed to study foreign experience as well as to share with other participants the experience of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise’s expert.