The term “expertise” is often used in the scientific, industrial and consumer spheres of everyday life of modern mankind. This concept is used in carrying out various studies that require special professional knowledge.
The definition of forensic expertise acquired the legislative consolidation in Article 1 of the Law of Ukraine “On Forensic Expertise” is a study by an expert on the basis of special knowledge of material objects, phenomena and processes that contain information on the circumstances of the case being investigated by the bodies of inquiry, pre-trial and judicial investigation.
Forensic expertise differs from non-forensic expertise so that the procedure for its appointment and execution, as well as the use of the results obtained, is regulated by procedural legislation. The results of the expertise are obtained through the use of special tools – expert methods.
Forensic expertise is distinguished from other expertise in other areas of human activity on the following grounds:
- Preparation of materials for forensic expertise, its appointment and conduct is carried out in compliance with legal regulations;
- Expert studies are based on the use of specialized in various fields of science and technology;
- An expert’s conclusion has the status of a source of evidence;
- As a rule, it is used equipment for research without which is impossible to conduct it at the modern scientific level;
- Training of personnel is carried out as well as quality control of their research;
- Complex and commission expertise is carried out as well;
- New scientific methods of expert research are being developed.
Forensic expertise, as a branch of scientific knowledge, evolved over many decades. In 2013, Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise celebrated its 100th anniversary. We are proud of the valuable experience gained during the period of existence and continue to develop actively, satisfying the state’s needs for an independent, objective, competent and qualified expertise carried out by professional (certified) forensic experts on the basis of the Law of Ukraine “On Forensic Expertise” and other persons within their competence, in the manner and on the grounds determined by the relevant rules of procedural law of the current legislation of Ukraine.