On July 21, 2022, experts of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise took part in a scientific and practical seminar on the topic “Overview of the scene (residential areas, civilian infrastructure) and certain aspects of the appointment and conduct of forensic examinations in the investigation of criminal offences committed as a result of the russian federation’s aggressive war against Ukraine, peace, and humanity”. The scientific and practical seminar was held in the conference hall of the SBI.
The seminar, which took place in a mixed format (online and in the personal presence of the participants), was joined by investigators of the Main Investigation Department and territorial departments of the State Bureau of Investigation of Ukraine, experts of forensic institutions of Ukraine, scientists of higher educational institutions of Ukraine.
The speakers of the scientific and practical seminar were mainly representatives of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise since the topic is quite relevant in the context of the latest events taking place in our country. Artem Medvedenko, Deputy Head of the Main Investigation Department of the SBI, made an introductory speech to the participants of the event.
The reports at the scientific and practical seminar were made by representatives of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise:
- Andrii Kulchytskyi, Head of the Department of Explosion Research and Research of Missile and Artillery Weapons of the Forensic Research Laboratory of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise, member of the Association of Sappers of Ukraine;
- Pavlo Borshchevskyi, Acting Head of the Laboratory of Engineering and Transport, Commodity and Special Types of Research of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise;
- Roman Pasko, Head of the Laboratory of Engineering and Technical Types of Research, Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise, Candidate of Technical Sciences;
- Oleg Baulin, Head of the Department of Scientific Activity and International Cooperation of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise, Candidate of Juridical Sciences;
- Anatolii Starushkevych, Leading Researcher of the Department of Regulatory and Methodological Activity and Standardization of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise, Candidate of Juridical Sciences;
- Kateryna Pedko, Senior Forensic Expert of the Forensic Speech, Audio Analysis and Forensic Information Technology of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise, Candidate of Psychological Sciences.
During the scientific and practical seminar, the problematic issues of interaction of SBI investigators with expert institutions were discussed, in particular, conducting examinations in criminal proceedings for war crimes committed during the armed aggression against Ukraine, peculiarities of conducting forensic examinations to determine the consequences of using various types of weapons, features of construction and technical examinations related to armed aggression of the Russian Federation. and forensic aspects of the investigative examination in emergency situations, features of appointments and examinations to identify a person on the basis of appearance and other issues that are currently the most problematic and require quick response and resolution.
The participants of the event were able to share their thoughts and best practices in the context of this topic, which, in turn, will help to find ways to solve urgent issues of forensic expert activity in all forensic institutions of Ukraine under martial law.