Dmytro Samarin, Heorhii Mashkov and Oleksandr Sobkov, experts of the Phonoscopic, Computer Technical and Telecommunication Research Department of Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise took part in the seminar on the following topic: “Problematic issues on computer-technical research and ways to solve them” which took place in Zakarpattia region.
The seminar was organized by the Expert Service of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine. The main purpose of the event was the discussion of problematic issues and finding ways to solve them when performing computer-technical examinations as well as the exchange of positive experience, familiarization with new methods and software products, the current state of legal regulation in this area.
The event was attended by representatives of KFI, the Investigation Department of the Main Directorate of the National Police in Zakarpattia region, the Security Service of Ukraine, the National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine and other specialists from different areas of Ukraine.
During the seminar experts shared their best practices; during the reports they covered the issues of research of the latest technologies and features of the use of modern technological solutions. Speakers presented the following topics:
- software issues during the research of malicious software;
- the use of non-standard methods when conducting computer-technical examinations;
- review of software products for computer and technical expertise;
- signs of software data encryption;
- practical aspects of the research of the artifacts of the registry files of the Windows operating system in a virtual environment;
- comparative analysis of the results of the research of images of hard disks and mobile phone by expert software, etc.
An important aspect of the seminar was the holding of a round table with experts in the field of law, in which forensic experts received answers to problematic legal issues arising in expert practice.
At the end of the seminar, the participants summarized the results of their work and identified recommendations on the main areas of improvement and development of computer and technical research in expert institutions for the future.