On January 27, 2023, a round table was held on the topic: “Criminal Law and Procedural Responses to the Challenges of Martial Law in Ukraine”.
The round table was held online at the National University of “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”.
The moderator of the event was Mykola Havroniuk, Professor of the Department of Criminal and Criminal Procedure Law of the Faculty of Law of the National University “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”, Doctor of Law, Professor, Honored Lawyer of Ukraine.
Oleg Baulin, Head of the Scientific Activity and International Cooperation of the Kyiv Scientific Research Department Institute of Forensic Expertise, took part in the discussion. In particular, the representative of the Kyiv Scientific Research Institute of Forensic Expertise made a report “Criminal Procedure Law of Ukraine under Martial Law: Trends in Formation and Problems of Implementation”.
The participants of the event focused on the following thematic areas:
- Features of criminal liability for criminal offences committed during martial law;
- Problems of qualification of criminal offences against the foundations of national security of Ukraine, against the order of military service and against the peace and security of mankind;
- Criminal and legal mechanisms for protecting the rights and freedoms of man and citizen, the interests of society or the state in the conditions of an aggressive war against Ukraine;
- Prospects for the implementation by Ukraine of the norms of international law and reception of the provisions of the national legislation of foreign countries on liability for criminal offences against the peace and security of mankind;
- Issues of the current Criminal Code and the Criminal Procedure Code of Ukraine and improvement of the provisions of the draft of the new Criminal Code of Ukraine on liability for criminal offences committed during martial law and other topical issues;
- In the final part of the round table, the participants exchanged views on the relevant topics of the speakers’ speeches and summarized the most important aspects of the discussion.